Hi there! I'm Helen Kelly of Brisbane Hand Lettering.
A Brisbane based letterer & graphic designer.
I grew up drawing cartoons and in primary school I fell in love with my copy of Noelene Morris's 'The Lettering Book', which I still have to this day. In high school I received a Sheaffer calligraphy boxed set that I nagged my folks to buy me as I adored calligraphy and continued to dabble while studying Fine Arts. 26 years ago I turned my focus to graphic design but I never stopped lettering. I even got a freelance job writing calligraphy on 150 Optus Gala Ball invitations!
In 2015 after attending Wayne Thompson's of Australian Type Foundry's 'Type By Hand' day intensive with Matt Vergotis, I wanted to just keep GOING! That's how I started up Brisbane Hand Lettering & holding bi-monthly lettering meet-ups. These are open to anyone to come along & practice or work on their own projects with other like minded letterheads. Some of my early attendees were asking if I could teach them the Brush Lettering technique that I was doing, and that my friend is how my workshops were born! While I have loved teaching for 3 yrs at various venues from the Sunshine Coast to Sydney, I decided to hang up my workshop hat and reclaim my precious weekends with my family.
When I'm not creating freelance work for clients & working part time, I'm drinking WAY too many coffees & frequenting every art gallery I can muster!
Qualifications & Training:
- Diploma of Fine Art – TAFE
- Certificate in Visual Arts & Design – TAFE
- Certificate in Ceramics – TAFE
- Diploma of Graphic Design – CATC Design School
- Coding for Designers – Aquent Gymnasium
- ‘Train Small Groups’ – National On Site Training
Past Speaker At:
- The Design Kids ‘TDK Tuesdays’ Brisbane
- Ladies Wine & Design – Brisbane chapter
- Desktop Magazine
- SLQ The Edge
- Leah Desborough Photography
- Jane Milburn – Textile Beat
- KTB Design
- Noosa Yarn Company
- Glitter My Timbers
- Cake My Day by Jo
- Carys Martin Ceramics – Brush Lettering Eco Ceramic Travel Cup
- Kylie And The Machine – Woven 'Slow Clothing' sewing labels
Designs donated to:
- The Lovewell Project Café, Mt Gravatt Lookout – Window Murals
- Compassion Is My Fashion – 2 x T-shirt Designs
Workshop programs delivered for:
- Makers Escape Montville & Makers Escape North Brisbane over 3 yrs for Ministry of Handmade
- BrisStyle Inc. Craft Art Markets
Australian Blue Card Holder